Call toll free: 1 888 518-7888
Local number: 734 647-6179
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern time
Or email us anytime.
University's Official Name: Regents of the University of Michigan
Tax-Identification Number: 38-6006309
Please contact the Help Line with your questions about:
- Your gifts to the University
- Whether the University has received your gift and/or whether it has been processed
- Information on a pledge reminder you received in the mail
- How to make a credit card gift over the phone
- Information on a gift receipt or whether you need a new receipt
- Information on the processing of a credit card gift, a payroll deduction gift or a recurring gift
You can also view your giving history, open pledges, and recurring gifts on the My Pledges & Gifts section of this site (Note: you must be logged into the site to access this page).
If you're unable to find the fund you're looking for you can write in the name and/or 6 digit shortcode of your fund to make your gift. You can describe your area of interest in the box provided. We will assign your donation to the appropriate fund, which will be included on your official receipt.
Please contact the Help Line to notify us of:
- A change in your marital status
- A change of your home address or phone number
- A change of your business address information
- A change of your email address
- The death of an alumna or alumnus
You can also update your name, address, email address, phone numbers, spouse/partner information and education information on our secure My Profile page (Note: you must be logged into the site to access this page).
I would like to register. How can I get an account and password?
To register for this site you must have a uniqname or friend account and password.
What is a U-M Uniqname?
A U-M uniqname is your official U-M computing ID and may have been part of your @umich email address if you are an alumni/ae, faculty or staff. Your uniqname or friend account and password are required in order to login to your personal information on this site.
What is a Friend Account?
A Friend account is a U-M guest computing account. It allows someone who does not have a U-M uniqname and UMICH Kerberos password to authenticate to the U-M computing environment allowing them to log in to the environment and be identified. Friend accounts can be used by donors and friends of the University who are not alumni/ae, faculty or staff.
Why should I log out when I'm finished visiting this site?
As with all websites containing personal data, it is important to log out from your session to help keep your information secure.
How can I update my Alumni Record online?
You can update your profile online if you are logged into this site. Please note that while you can make changes, they may not be reflected for 3-5 business days.
How do I update my personal information if I don't have an account?
- By email: Please contact the Help Line to submit your request. Title your changes "Alumni Record Update"
- By U.S. mail or fax: Write your changes, indicate whether they are for home or business information and include a day telephone number. Mail or fax to:
Gift & Records Administration, Development Services and Strategic Solutions
3003 S. State Street, Suite 8000
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1288
- Or call the Gift & Records Help Line 734-647-6179
I recently made updates to my personal information and the changes are not appearing. What should I do?
All changes made to your record will be reflected within 3-5 business days.
How can I forward or redirect my umich.edu email address?
What is a preferred email address?
This address is where you would prefer to receive general University email correspondence. Please feel free to list other email addresses that would serve as alternate means of contact for University staff should the need arise.
What is U-M's policy on the use and release of personal information?
The University of Michigan is committed to protecting your personal privacy. You may wish to review the "Policy Regarding the Use and Release of Donor and Alumni/ae Information," developed by the Office of the Vice President for Development, taken from the U-M Standard Practice Guide section 602.05.
Information on Giving to U-M
I'm not sure which funds I want to support. How can I find U-M giving opportunities?
The Leaders & Best Online Giving site is organized by categories. Starting with a general category you can navigate through subcategories to narrow your search. You may add more than one fund to your giving basket and complete your donation in one transaction.
I can't find the fund I'm looking for. How can I make my donation?
You can write in the name and/or 6 digit shortcode of your fund to make your gift. You can describe your area of interest in the box provided. We will assign your donation to the appropriate fund, which will be included on your official receipt.
What should I know about giving to an endowed fund?
If we raise a sufficient level of gifts we may establish a permanently endowed fund, which will be administered as a permanent endowment under Michigan law and University policies. Otherwise, the gifts will be spent for the purpose described.
I would like to pay my pledge online
Visit The Leaders & Best Online Giving site. Login, go to My Pledges & Gifts, click on Open Pledges and then select “pay” next to the open pledge. If you are unable to login, please indicate in the gift comment that your payment should be applied against your pledge.
I would like to set up a pledge gift, can I do this online?
Please contact the Help Line to set up a new pledge.
- Call toll free: 1 888 518-7888
Local number: 734 647-6179
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern time
I made a pledge through telefund where can I see the pledge information?
You view your open pledges on the My Pledges & Gifts section of this site (Note: you must be logged into the site to access this page). Please allow 3-5 business days for changes to be reflected on the website.
I currently work for U-M and would like my gift to be deducted monthly from my payroll, can I do this online?
Current employees are eligible to set up payroll deductions. Gifts are deducted from the 2nd pay of the month for bi-weekly paid employees. The monthly deduction is continuous until the employee chooses to stop the deduction by contacting the Gift and Records Help Line.
To give via payroll deduction: from the “Configure Your Gift” step of the checkout process, select the gift option “I currently work for U-M and would like my gift to be deducted monthly from my payroll.” You will need to be logged in to continue.
Please note this transaction will replace any existing U-M donation deductions.
If you also want to continue your existing deductions, go to your giving history page, where you can select all funds you would like to support.
This transaction will not affect other payroll deductions such as United Way donations or parking permits. If you prefer you can also manage all of your payroll deductions on the Wolverine Access site.
I would like to set up a recurring gift, can I do this online?
You can choose to support any fund with a recurring gift.
To use the recurring gift option:
- Add a fund or funds to your cart and choose the amount you would like to give per month. Click the “Proceed to checkout” button.
- Configure your gift by choosing the first selection “This is either a Recurring Monthly Gift or a Tribute Gift” and make sure “Recurring Gift” is selected. Click the “Continue” button and provide the remaining information to complete your gift transaction.
- Your credit card will be charged your recurring gift amount on the 10th of each month.
- You can view your recurring gifts on the My Pledges & Gifts section of this site (Note: you must be logged into the site to access this page). Please allow 3-5 business days for changes to be reflected on the website.
How can I find out if my company has a matching gifts program?
You can increase your gift to U-M by making use of your company's matching gift program.
If your company is eligible, request a matching gift form from your employer, and send it completed and signed with your gift. We will do the rest. The impact of your gift to the University may be doubled or possibly tripled! Some companies match gifts made by retirees and/or spouses.
Find out if your company has a matching gifts program »
Note: Matching gifts from employers are not eligible to be included in pledge payments. Gift pledges to the University may be fulfilled only through payments from the donors of the gifts.
How can I give a gift of securities, or 'gifts in kind'?
I received a call from Michigan Telefund. Can I learn more about the program?
Read about our Michigan Telefund program, which trains and employs several hundred Michigan students to contact donors about annual giving by phone.
Where can I find charitable gift planning resources?
Legacy or "planned" gifts can help you support U-M for generations to come. you can choose from a variety of creative ways to contribute, including:
Are there tax benefits to making a gift to U-M?
The University of Michigan has 501(c)(3) non-profit tax exempt status; our federal tax ID number is 38-6006309.
- Your gift may provide you with federal and state income tax benefits:
- If you itemize deductions on your federal income tax return, you may be able to deduct your contribution to U-M from your adjusted gross income. In addition, gifts of appreciated property you owned for longer than one year may avoid long term capital gains tax. Check with your tax advisor for deduction and capital gains tax requirements and limitations for your situation.
- Your state may also allow a credit or deduction. Again, check with your tax advisor regarding applicable state law.