University of Michigan

Tax Efficient Giving from Abroad

The University of Michigan has more than 40,000 alumni outside the United States, many of whom remain engaged with students, faculty, and programs on campus and provide generous philanthropic support. Below is some general information about the tax efficient giving from certain countries. Please contact us for more specific information or if you live in a country not listed.

Source Income from the United States

In most circumstances, donors with income taxable in the United States may deduct their gifts to U-M from that income. This is the most common and most efficient “cross border” giving strategy when it comes to taxes. You will of course want to consult your financial and tax advisors regarding your specific situation.


Canadian taxpayers may claim a tax credit for gifts to U-M, which is listed on Schedule VIII of the Canadian Income Tax Act under "The University of Michigan." For more information, please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or


Donors in Continental Europe may wish to utilize the King Baudouin Foundation and Transnational Giving Europe. U-M has established a “friends of” account with the King Baudouin Foundation in Brussels; this account is networked with several foundations across Europe and facilitates the transfer of charitable gifts to U-M while allowing donors to gain the appropriate tax benefit. A small percentage of each gift is paid as a commission, but the tax benefits far outweigh these costs.

Transnational Giving Europe is available to donors living in Bulgaria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

For more information, please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or

Hong Kong

Donors in Hong Kong may wish to utilize the HK U-M Hong Kong Business Foundation, a wholly owned entity of the University of Michigan and a registered charity in Hong Kong.  Donors are eligible for tax benefits just as they would be for gifts to any other registered charity in Hong Kong.

Please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or or Bin Zhao (+1 734 615-6331 or for specific instructions regarding how to give to U-M through the HK U-M Business Foundation Limited.


Japanese nationals and corporations may use the Japan Foundation’s Designated Donation

Program. U-M programs benefitting from such support must be approved by the Japan Foundation as international cultural-exchange projects. These grants have a significant impact on U-M students, faculty, and programs while simultaneously fostering deeper cross-cultural understanding.

More information about Japan Foundation’s Designated Donation is available at: For more information, please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or


U-M is listed in Publication 78 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.  As a result, donations to U-M by taxpayers in Mexico meet the requirements necessary to be considered tax-deductible. Please consult with your financial and tax advisors regarding the specifics of your situation. 

United Kingdom

Donors who pay taxes to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs may increase the impact of their gift to U-M by directing their support through the National Philanthropic Trust - UK (NPT-UK), a registered charity in the United Kingdom. By working through NPT-UK, donors can leverage an additional 25 percent or more for the program(s) they are supporting. This benefit, known as Gift Aid, increases the value of contributions by allowing U-M to reclaim the tax amount that donors have paid on the money they’re contributing, just as U.K. based charities do. If a donor pays a higher-than-basic tax rate, extra relief on donations can be claimed for the benefit of U-M or the donor.

UK Gift Aid Calculator

Proposed Donation: £ Basic Tax Rate (%)

Full Value with Gift Aid: £

To make a Gift Aid donation, donors simply make a Gift Aid declaration. NPT-UK or U-M can provide some basic forms. The Gift Aid declaration must include:

  • The donor’s full name
  • The donor’s home address
  • The name of the charity (in this case, the University of Michigan)

For more information, please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or

Donors may also wish to contact Ken Poege of the National Philathropic Trust (UK) by email at or phone, at +44 (0) 203 6375 903. The NPT-UK address is: 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT. More detailed information may also be found at:

The Regents of the University of Michigan has 501(c)(3) non-profit tax exempt status; our federal tax ID number is 38-6006309.

Copyright © The Regents of the University of Michigan
Gifts to endowment will be administered as a permanent endowment under Michigan law and University policies.
The University of Michigan Office of Development, 3003 South State Street, Suite 9000, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1288