University of Michigan

Tax Efficient Giving from Abroad

The University of Michigan has more than 40,000 alumni outside the United States, many of whom remain engaged with students, faculty, and programs on campus and provide generous philanthropic support. Below is some general information about the tax efficient giving from certain countries. Please contact us for more specific information or if you live in a country not listed.

Source Income from the United States

In most circumstances, donors with income taxable in the United States may deduct their gifts to U-M from that income. This is the most common and most efficient “cross border” giving strategy when it comes to taxes. You will of course want to consult your financial and tax advisors regarding your specific situation.


Canadian taxpayers may claim a tax credit for gifts to U-M, which is listed on Schedule VIII of the Canadian Income Tax Act under "The University of Michigan." For more information, please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or
Hong Kong

Donors making gifts of more than US$25,000 may be eligible to utilize the University of Michigan Business Foundation in Hong Kong and any associated tax benefits.  Please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or or Sophia Moeller (+1 734 647-6019 or for more information.


Japanese nationals and corporations may use the Japan Foundation’s Designated Donation

Program. U-M programs benefitting from such support must be approved by the Japan Foundation as international cultural-exchange projects. These grants have a significant impact on U-M students, faculty, and programs while simultaneously fostering deeper cross-cultural understanding.

More information about Japan Foundation’s Designated Donation is available at: For more information, please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or


U-M is listed in Publication 78 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.  As a result, donations to U-M by taxpayers in Mexico meet the requirements necessary to be considered tax-deductible. Please consult with your financial and tax advisors regarding the specifics of your situation. 

United Kingdom

Donors who pay taxes to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs may increase the impact of their gift to U-M by directing their support through NPT Transatlantic, a registered charity in the United Kingdom. By working through NPT Transatlantic, donors can leverage an additional 25 percent or more for the program(s) they are supporting. This benefit, known as Gift Aid, increases the value of contributions by allowing U-M to reclaim the tax amount that donors have paid on the money they’re contributing, just as U.K. based charities do. If a donor pays a higher-than-basic tax rate, extra relief on donations can be claimed for the benefit of U-M or the donor.

UK Gift Aid Calculator

Proposed Donation: £ Basic Tax Rate (%)

Full Value with Gift Aid: £

To make a Gift Aid donation, donors simply make a Gift Aid declaration. NPT Transatlantic or U-M can provide some basic forms. The Gift Aid declaration must include:

  • The donor’s full name
  • The donor’s home address
  • The name of the charity (in this case, the University of Michigan)

For more information, please contact Brodie Remington (+1 734 763-4378 or

Donors donors may contact NPT Transatlantic by email at or by telephone at +44 (0) 800 133 7540. More detailed information may also be found at:


The Regents of the University of Michigan has 501(c)(3) non-profit tax exempt status; our federal tax ID number is 38-6006309.

Copyright © The Regents of the University of Michigan
Gifts to endowment will be administered as a permanent endowment under Michigan law and University policies.
The University of Michigan Office of Development, 3003 South State Street, Suite 9000, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1288